Wednesday, March 21, 2018

20A - Growing Your Social Capital

It's Who You Know, Not What You Know


1.) The first person I interviewed was Robert Evans, who is a graphic designer and web developer in Atlanta. He specializes in marketing, branding, and design. He's worked on apps countless times for clients, so I count him as my domain expert. Rob is my uncle, so I knew he was going to be my first call. 

After giving him my business idea and platform, he let me know that the hard part would be getting other food companies to agree to adding a QR code to their products, and another hard part would be programming the augmented reality aspect so that it would recognize the QR codes. It exists in other apps, but I have no experience personally with programming, so I'd need funding and a team of computer programmers who know what they're doing. He loved my idea and said that it's definitely an unmet need in a market that's changing the food industry and growing bigger each year. If it were a situation where I could pitch this idea then either sell it to someone else or go on Shark Tank and obtain the funding to support it, he said this app would probably be successful. 

Including Rob in my network would be a massive help to both of our brands. I'd be able to utilize his graphic design skills to give my app a user-friendly experience with an iconic and modern aesthetic that would help launch the app to success. If my app is successful, he'd be able to put it on his list of projects so that future businesses that want his web development services would know his worth and be able to recognize his design.

This is his website by the way: https://www.evansmade.com/ 


2.) The second person I interviewed was Erika Evans, who is a registered massage therapist and is taking classes working towards being a registered dietitian as well (she studied Health Education and Behavior at UF). She is also a yoga instructor, and was vegetarian for 12 years. Since she's knowledgeable about health and wellness, and was vegetarian for a long-term period, I'm considering her my market expert. Erika is my aunt - yes, she is married to Rob - so I killed two birds with one stone and talked with them back-to-back on the same phone call (if you were wondering, that side of my family is artsy and innovative and crazy talented). 

After giving her my business idea and platform, she loved the idea and was totally on board. She said it was a good shortcut for googling every individual ingredient on a food product. She voiced a couple of the same concerns as Rob regarding the actual programming of the app, and getting cooperation of food companies with QR code labeling. She said she thinks this app would be more useful for vegetarians and vegans when they're adjusting to the diet, but once they use the app enough they will get more comfortable with knowing which food products are okay to eat and which ones aren't and will gradually stop using the app. She said I should focus more on people who are trying to become vegetarian or vegan or people who don't quite know their stuff, because people who have been vegetarian or vegan for long-term like her probably already know food items like the back of their hands. Since more people are becoming vegetarian and vegan every day, and since it's such a rapidly growing market, she thinks this won't be a problem.

Including Erika in my network would be just as essential as Rob. I've only been vegetarian for 2 years, and my aunt was for 12 years. She knows about not only sticking to the diet but also doing so in a healthy and balanced way, so maybe I can find ways to implement nutritional deficiencies and promote health and wellness into my app on top of the primary purpose of distinguishing vegetarian and vegan food products. If my app was successful, it would help her out by putting her name out there as a nutrition and health expert and promoting her brand.

3.) The third person I interviewed was Doug Brown, a computer programmer for IBM. Since he's a computer programmer and would theoretically know how to program an app (and would also have a network of computer programmers who know how to program an app), I'm considering him a supplier in my industry. He's my roommate's dad and my own dad's coworker, so I called him too.

He said the augmented reality part of my idea would be difficult to program, but it's been done before in other app that utilize QR codes, so it wouldn't need any groundbreaking technological innovations- just the funding to hire a team of programmers to create the app. 

Including Doug in my network would expand my contacts to not just who I know and who my dad knows within IBM, but also who Doug knows. Having as much reach as possible in regards to finding computer programmers would be integral in making this app actually happen.


     (Doug with my roommate!)

Reflection

This experience was similar to past networking experiences I've had, because I reached out to people I know personally who would actually be able to help me professionally. In the past I've done that with past teachers, mentors from internships, coaches, and family/close family friends. Usually when you start there, it's a good place to start because it starts a chain of them saying someone else they know who could possibly help, which expands my own network further. This exercise was just one more confirmation that I do know people who could and would help, or could at least be a good starting point for this project, and that I don't have to do this alone. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kyleigh,
    I believe that your contacts are excellent sources of feedback. Your family members’ background is very interesting. I even went to your uncle’s website and took a look at it for a bit. They gave you good and honest feedback. The main challenges with your app would be to handle the QR codes and the AR interface. I would say that that QR code problem is more pressing. That is because it would need manufacturers and retailers to agree to provide information for the app in the first place. I wonder if you could use the QR codes that already exist to provide further information. Perhaps there’s someone out there who could give you more info in that area. In terms of the AR interface, I believe that it’s going to take significant work from computer programmers. That takes us to the funding required to pay the team. I don’t think this a project that you can bootstrap or build with few resources. It would take significant resources to bring it to life.
    I don’t think you should go on Shark Tank at this moment, though. They’re going to ask if you’ve have a patent, if you have some sort of deal with suppliers, and more questions like that. It would be fun to see you on the show at some point though!
    Good job on this assignment. You received really good feedback and I think we both became more aware of what it’ll take to develop the product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you provided sources for your people. That makes it much more believable that you actually sought them out, so good job at doing that! I also like how connected some of them were to you, meaning that you'll be able to keep a close and not-flaky relationship throughout this project. Great job, and I look forward to seeing what you end up coming up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyleigh. I think it was a great idea to include photos of your interviewees in your post. This lent to both their and your credibility. You also seemed to do an amazing job of picking interviewees, they each seemed to be subject matter experts. You did a great job summarizing their thoughts, inputs and how they would help your product development and brand growth.

    ReplyDelete