Friday, March 2, 2018

15A - Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2

For this assignment, I found three more vegetarians (my segment) through Facebook and conducted interviews with them over the phone.

For all three interviews, the respondents said that price is the number one issue when considering a product. They base their purchase on the perceived quality of the product in relation to the price at the time of the purchase. For example, if a consumer saw a product with rave reviews and beautiful packaging, if it's more expensive than it seems like it should be then they will buy the next closest thing (a knock-off). With apps specifically, I asked if they would rather buy a free app with in-app purchases or an app with a fixed price in the app store and no in-app purchases. Two responded that they would rather download a free app so they could customize the app and only buy packages within the app that applies to them, but the third customer said she'd rather buy a $5 app up front than buy a useless free app where every feature in the app costs $1.99 to unlock. In-app purchases are frustrating to her, especially if there are barely any (or no) features offered for free. I asked if packaging/design mattered to them, and all three said that they love good design and packaging. One of the girls said that 99% of the reason she buys makeup is because of the packaging.

My segment is likelier to buy my product (an app that provides a service) online, but is more likely to buy the products that the app analyzes in a restaurant or grocery store (so in person). None of my customers said that they use Amazon pantry, but one said she tried a service called HelloFresh. It's a service you pay for online and it sends you fresh ingredients with recipes for tailored lunches and dinners. She said she didn't like it and ultimately canceled her subscription, because she doesn't like cooking every single day and all of the meals they sent required cooking. When I asked if they are more likely to pay with cash or card, they all said card, hands down. Even farmer's markets have Square now, so there's no need to purchase anything with cash nowadays.

When my interviewees make a purchase of an app, they said they feel good about the purchase if they find themselves using the app on a regular basis. If it is a health/lifestyle app like a fitness app, they measure how satisfied with the app they are by how often they open up the app and decide to exercise, and if they feel good about the workouts they do. One also said that the app feels like a successful purchase if it is easy to navigate and is aesthetically pleasing. On the flip side, she said that it feels like a bad purchase if it has a confusing layout or looks cheaply made because of poor design or terrible aesthetics.

In summary, my interviews told me that my segment is looking for a simple, clean, user-friendly app that they will use for every meal and they won't mind using for every meal. Presentation communicates worth in this case, so my focus will have to be more on graphic design than I previously thought.

This segment values ease of use, aesthetic quality, frequency of use, and low cost in an app. They don't want to be bombarded by offers for in-app purchases, and they want a clean and simple app that has a clear purpose.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kyleigh,
    Your potential customers have very good points on free app with paid benefits vs a paid app. I think I would rather pay for an app straight up so that I know I’m receiving the full benefits, especially if the app could potentially be very important in my habits. I think I would like a free trial and then a one-time payment or a paid subscription. I would use the free trial to see if I would like to use the app or not.
    It seems that fewer and fewer people are using physical cash nowadays. People are comfortable with online transactions, even in person. Perhaps your app could take advantage of that.
    Aesthetics seem like an important point of differentiation for your app. I think that your app would cater to people who care about their health deeply and are very aware of aesthetics.
    I think you received high quality information from your interviews. Very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kyleigh, first I want to say great job for organizing all your interviews on time and managing your time accordingly. Your interviewees made some good points regarding your app being free with paid additions. Overall all your conclusions were on point and made me think of some questions I would like to ask during my future interviews, and again, great work.

    ReplyDelete