Tuesday, March 20, 2018

19A - Idea Napkin no. 2

1.) I'm a 20-year-old college student studying Sustainability and the Built Environment (and minoring in Innovation). My talents are leadership, time-management, dedication/passion, attention to detail, design, public speaking, brutal honesty, and specialization in environmental protection (and sustainability regarding construction and architecture/interior design). My aspirations are to make an impact for the better on the environment, social justice/public policy, women's rights, and constantly expand my horizons and learn new things in whichever job I eventually hold.
2.) What I'm offering customers is an app that utilizes augmented reality to scan food items and let the user know if that item is vegetarian, vegan, or neither. The FDA currently does not require food labels to list ingredients of ingredients, so sometimes a person might not even realize that a food they've been consuming contains meat. My app would give vegetarians and vegans peace of mind in knowing what's in their food, and what's in the ingredients in their food. Current apps on the market are meant for calorie-counting or nutritional value of food items, but none are marketed towards vegetarians/vegans and specifically tell consumers if a product is vegetarian or vegan.
3.) I'm offering this product to vegetarians and vegans, and especially people who are tired of constantly googling every ingredient listed on a food product (ie: "what is gelatin made of?" "what is casein?" "what is L. cysteine?").
4.) Vegetarians and vegans care about their commitment and want to know if anything they eat has meat or meat products in it. I know that finding out that marshmallows have gelatin in them (which are made with hooves) was a major surprise, and finding out that my Panera staple, broccoli cheddar soup, is made with chicken stock felt like a huge betrayal. Vegetarians and vegans want to know that they're actually eating the diet they're committed to, whether their reason for going onto the diet is environmental impact, animal cruelty, or health.
5.) My core competencies were already listed in number 1. This is essentially the exact same question, not to mention we just had an assignment about our core competencies. See the special sauce assignment for more detail regarding my competencies.

I didn't get any negative feedback from my last Idea Napkin, so what I took away from the positive feedback was that my idea definitely strikes a chord with people who are new to the vegetarian/vegan diet and are trying to commit but feel lost trying to figure out what to eat. Something else I took away was that my idea is new, and none of the comments said "oh, there's already an app that does this, it's called _." I didn't need to incorporate these into my new idea napkin, because my original idea napkin already had these two components.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Kyleigh,
    The things you care about are extremely important to keep in mind because they will drive you throughout your career.
    I’ve really come to think that your idea would become a useful product if implemented well. I think the format is good as it is. You explained what the product was, what the need for it is, how it works, and your personal experience with the problem. Covering those points made a great idea napkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kyleigh,
    You explain your ideas very well, and it's impressive that you were able to incorporate your feedback into your post so well. Your original post doesn't differ much from this, which means you have a set goal. A set goal is extremely important in this sort of project, and your core competencies will get you far in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kyleigh, your description about who you are have improved exponentially. I was able to understand your idea much better after reading your idea napkin no. 2 assignment. After better understanding your idea I really do think that your idea can make a change and should be implemented. as a computer science major, I think that creating such an app would be very complicated but with hard work you might be able to create a well needed product.

    ReplyDelete